Shout out! Hey Poconos!!!

I wanted to say "hey" to the Anthem Guy who is always so helpful and makes my job look SO easy!!!!

Friday, January 25, 2008

Settling in

The first few days after I quit my job at the nursing home were traumatic for Mom. She got it into her head that I wouldn't be around for four weeks. I'm not sure where she got that. On Sunday I found her in bed at 11 in the morning. She was shocked to see me. She was sinking into a depression.

Each resident has a write on/wipe off board. I wrote "Sunday, Wednesday and Friday" on her board. I circled it. Then I told her "You may see me on other days, but you can absolutely count on THESE days. And on Friday I will bring you and Roomie something for supper. "

Tonight was our first supper. I went in yesterday and asked them what they'd like. They both agreed on Kentucky Fried Chicken and cole slaw. They were thrilled to have something different. We chatted for an hour or so then I left.

Mom's roomie told me that it helps a lot for Mom to be able to see on the board exactly when I'll be in. The other visits are a pleasant surprise.

In truth, Mom's seeing me a LOT more than she did when I worked there. I always hesitated to go down to Mom's room during working hours because it was almost impossible to just pop in and say "hi". Mom always had a reason for me to stay. I'd almost have to be rude in order to get back to work. Then by the time the day was over, I just wanted to get out of there. I didn't want to spend any more time in the building than I had to.

Mom's short term memory is getting worse. I've been to see her five times in the last week. Each time I go she tells me that her room mate got a new doctor. She has also repeated several incidents as though this is news.

As for her long term memory, let's just say it's creative. Mom paints a picture of her life that is so far from reality as to be total fiction. But it makes her happy to "remember" things in a new light. What's the point in setting the record straight?

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online