Shout out! Hey Poconos!!!

I wanted to say "hey" to the Anthem Guy who is always so helpful and makes my job look SO easy!!!!

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Felix Navidad

Ten Great Gifts For Your Elderly Parent

10) Hat and gloves for trips outside. Heat escapes quickly from the bodies of senior citizens. Keeping head and hands warm is essential. And it's often the first thing they misplace. So more than one set is not a problem!

9) Page-sized magnifiers for reading.

8) Cozies, or lap blankets. Sometimes it's nice to have a place to tuck cold hands when watching TV or reading.

7) Reminisce Magazine - This is the coolest periodical and a discounted subscription can be purchased at www.magazines.com.

6) Large print periodicals. My mom loves the large print Reader's Digest we have subscribed for her. There's also a large print TV Guide. (also available with deep discounts at www.magazines.com)

5) Warm sleepwear. I can't believe my mother loves flannel nightgowns. She always slept in very light weight nighties when I was growing up, but now I think she can even wear them in the summer. She's always cold.

4) Bathrobes are a nice idea, but be sure to sew the belt on. Especially in a nursing home, that waist belt is the first thing to get lost. After the belt is lost, the robe is useless. I tried to get Mom the zip-up kind, but she has difficulty managing the zipper.

3) Old time music. A friend of mine sent my mother a bunch of CD's. She loved them. Mom likes classical music and traditional Christian music.

2) Books on tape or CD.

1) I think the number one favorite gift in the nursing home is homemade food. Of course, there are diet considerations, but the nursing staff will be more than happy to guide you. If your loved one isn't in a nursing home, bake something, or have them over for their favorite home-cooked meal.

1 comments:

Tryllyam said...

Could your mom use some more "Old Time" cds?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online