Shout out! Hey Poconos!!!

I wanted to say "hey" to the Anthem Guy who is always so helpful and makes my job look SO easy!!!!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Precious Memories

I received a call from the nursing home administration on Friday. Mom had been telling everyone that we were going on a shopping trip today. The nursing home asked that I please remove some things from her room before I bring more in.

I didn't end up needing to take much stuff out. Mostly it was newspapers and food stuff. Not a difficult clean up at all. In the end, Mom was really too tired to shop. Good. I was too!

When I first arrived at the nursing home, I saw that Mom wasn't in the dining room again, so I headed straight for her room. She wasn't there. I went out to the nurses' station and found Charlie, her nurse. Can I just take a minute here and sing Charlie's praises??? He's the most wonderful nurse I've ever had the pleasure to work with. He's found a way to treat the residents like they're perfectly rational and normal, yet meet their needs-no matter how odd or eccentric.

I told Charlie that I was concerned because Mom had just been through a rather pronounced manic phase. He seemed to notice it too. I said, "I worry when Mom comes out of these manic phases. Money seems to trigger and sustain the mania. If she can shop and buy, she stays 'up.' When she stops acquiring, she really crashes into a depression." Charlie asked me a question that just sort of stopped me in my tracks....

"What does she want?" He asked. "What is it that she's trying to acquire?"

Wow. What a loaded question. Honestly, I don't think I know. So much of what I do know, is based upon an accumulation of negatives. Mom doesn't like chocolate ice cream, but she loves chocolate. Mom hates the smell of grape bubblegum, but loves grapes. She must have a clean bathroom, but there better not be any grit left behind in the tub. I never knew exactly how she wanted something done, just how she didn't want them done.

I finally found Mom--all by herself--in the activities room. She was parked in front of a big screen TV that was playing a Gaither's Gospel Music Reunion. (Hence the new background music!) Mom looked at me and began sobbing. "I've been in mourning (she's so dramatic) all weekend because I FORGOT YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!" She wailed. "Um. Mom? My birthday's nearly a month away!" She said, "Isn't today September 24th?" No. It's August 24th. "Oh." She said, and then stopped "mourning"--sort of.

Then, the fabulous Vestal Goodman began singing. I figured Mom would be ready to leave. She always hated hearing Vestal Goodman's "caterwauling". Mom would gripe and groan about how she shrieks and wails and who would want to listen to that??

Well, much to my surprise, mom lamented about how nobody knows how to sing good gospel music anymore. "Vestal was the best!" Apparently in Mom's new history, she really liked Vestal Goodman!

I sat with her while the good old groups sang one after another of the classics. The men in the crowd either looked like Elvis or Billy Ray Cyrus. Holy mullets batman. The women made me long for the 80's. I miss big hair and shoulder pads!

I asked Mom if she wanted to come guide me while I cleaned her room. I didn't want to just pitch stuff. (That is such a lie, I totally wanted to pitch stuff!) I offered her the opportunity to direct the disposition of her things. She let out a big sigh and said, "Nooooo... just do what you think is best... I just want to sit here and listen to the music." Her face was shiny with tears.

I fought back tears all the way to her room, praying no one would ask me what was wrong. That good old gospel music brought back a few my own memories.

I got Mom's room back in shape quickly. I went back to get Mom. She was hungry now. She had refused lunch earlier. So I went and got her Taco Bell. I left her with strict instructions to eat, warning her that delayed gratification is NO gratification. "This food won't keep. If you're not going to eat it now, just throw it out. It'll be horrible later."

As I left, she asked me for money. Fortunately, I didn't bring my purse in with me. The very last thing Mom needs right now is money. I left her in her recliner. I hope she gets some rest and wakes up feeling happier.

I doubt it will happen though. I think she's heading for a real doozie. Time will tell.

2 comments:

bulleteyes said...

Big hair and shoulder pads! Wow, we were splendid in those days.

Charlie did ask a good question. It probably can't be answered by anyone but God. My mother does not know what would fulfill her and I suspect your mother is the same.

Nansi J. Smith said...

Weren't we something! I look so old now. I had to make Melly climb a TREE to take that picture of me. (Pictures taken from up high only capture ONE chin!)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online