Shout out! Hey Poconos!!!

I wanted to say "hey" to the Anthem Guy who is always so helpful and makes my job look SO easy!!!!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Crazy???

A couple of weeks ago the nursing home called me just before midnight. I don't know about you, but phone calls after 9:00 PM make me nervous. The nurse who called said, "Your mom lost her wallet." What??? You called me at midnight to talk about her WALLET??? That's CRAZY.

So I go see my mom last night. She tells me that she's been passing blood. I asked her if she knew from where and she said, "They think I've got another UTI (urinary tract infection)." That makes sense. She went on to tell me that the nurse examined her and ordered tests. She said she was concerned because they hadn't done the catheterization yet.

Not that I don't believe Mom, but she has been known to embellish and exaggerate. So tonight I called to see if they'd done the tests. The nurse on the phone was a little defensive and dismissive. She said "Your mother didn't complain of pain...." When I pressed her for details about the hemorrhaging, she expressed doubts about Mom's story. I suggested she check nurses notes for the night before and sure enough, there was an entry detailing finding Mom in distress about the amount of blood that was present.

Now I ask you, why wouldn't someone have picked up the phone and called me??? They'll wake me up for a wallet, but let my mother be found with a bed full of blood and no one thinks to call. Of course, I made that point loud and clear to the nurse on duty.

A UTI explains a lot of my mom's confusion lately. She's been asking what day it is, what month it is. Her piles of stuff are odder. I realized that Mom does really strange things with her stuff when she's confused.

You know what bothers me??? The nurse told me that it will probably Monday or TUESDAY before the lab results come back. Are you KIDDING me??? Who waits that many days to find out the results? I'll be keeping a very close eye on my mom in the next few days.

So how about that Sara Palin??? Now there's a feminist. :-)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Been doing Alzheimers research. My dad has Alzheimer's. Came across your blog. Keep blogging :)

www.alzheimersteam.com

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online